Spirited Southern Sweet Potato Bars
- 2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1-1/2 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato or canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease 13 x 9‑inch baking pan.
- In large bowl, combine oats and flour; mix well.
- Remove 2/3 cup and add salt and red pepper; set aside for filling. To remaining oat‑flour mixture, add butter, granulated sugar and vanilla; blend with electric mixer on low to medium speed until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup for topping. Press remaining mixture evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes; remove pan from oven.
- In separate bowl, combine sweet potato, eggs, brown sugar, bourbon and reserved 2/3 cup oat‑flour mixture; mix well. Spread filling over warm crust. Add nuts to reserved topping mixture; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over sweet potato filling.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until topping is light golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack; cut into bars. Serve at room temperature. Store in refrigerator tightly covered.