Soft Oaty Pretzels
- 3 to 3‑1/2 cups all‑purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/4 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 package (1/4 oz.) quick‑rising yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
How to make it
- For pretzels, combine 2 cups flour, oats, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl; mix well. Heat milk and water until very warm (120°F to 130°F); add margarine. Add to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed on electric mixer until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding additional flour if dough is sticky. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let dough rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12‑inch long rope; form into pretzel, letter or number shape. Place pretzels on baking sheet.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let rest 10 minutes or until slightly risen. Brush tops of pretzel with beaten egg; sprinkle with oats, pressing lightly.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. (If baking both baking sheets at one time, rotate sheets top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking time.)
- Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire rack. Store tightly covered at room temperature.