Multi-Grain Apricot Oat Muffins
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Kretschmer wheat germ, honey crunch or regular 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1‑1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat‑free milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup apricot fruit spread, plus additional for glaze
- Oats, for topping
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place paper muffin liners in 12 regular muffin cups; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, orange peel, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Combine egg whites, milk and oil; mix well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; mix just until blended. (Batter will be thin.)
- Fill each prepared muffin cup 1/3 full with batter. Carefully spoon 1 teaspoon apricot fruit spread in the centre of each muffin cup. Spoon remaining batter over fruit spread, dividing evenly. Sprinkle each filled muffin cup with oats.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven to wire rack. Lightly brush additional fruit spread onto the warm muffin tops to glaze.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Serve warm.
- To freeze, wrap cooled muffins securely in foil, or place in freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze up to 6 months.