Meatloaf Focaccia Sandwich
- 1 ounce sun‑dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1/2 cup fat‑free or reduced‑fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef or lean ground turkey breast
- 3/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fat‑free milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 loaf focaccia bread, about 8 x 10 inches in diameter (about 1‑1/2 lbs.)
- 8 slices reduced‑fat Swiss or part‑skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 large lettuce leaves
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- For spread, soften tomatoes according to package directions; coarsely chop. In small bowl, combine softened tomatoes, mayonnaise, garlic and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Cover and chill.
- For meatloaf, combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix lightly but thoroughly. Press meat mixture evenly into 9 x 5‑inch metal loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until meatloaf is cooked to medium doneness and centre is no longer pink (160°F for beef; 170°F for turkey). Drain off any juices. Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- To serve, cut focaccia into 8 rectangles; cut each rectangle in half horizontally. Spread 1 tablespoon spread on inside surfaces of each focaccia piece.
- Cut meatloaf into 8 slices; place on half the focaccia rectangles. Top with cheese and lettuce; cover with remaining pieces of focaccia. Serve warm.
Variations: Cook’s Tip: Tomato‑Oregano, Parmesan‑Basil, or any favourite focaccia bread can be used to prepare this sandwich.