Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons low fat‑milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease and flour 8 or 9‑inch square baking pan.
- For cake: pour boiling water over oats in medium bowl; mix well. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg whites; beat well. Add reserved oat mixture and combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix well. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes (8‑inch pan) or 50 to 60 minutes (9‑inch pan) or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Transfer cake in pan to wire rack.
- For topping: combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Spread evenly over top of warm cake.
- Broil about 4 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Watch closely; topping burns easily.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Metric Oven Temp: 180°C
Square baking pan: 2 or 2.5 L