Hearty Meatball Stew
- 1 pound ground turkey breast OR extra‑lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 can (8 oz.) no‑salt‑added tomato sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, divided
- 2 cans (14‑1/2 oz. each) 70% less sodium, fat‑free chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- 2-1/2 cups any frozen vegetable blend (do not thaw)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
How to make it
- Heat broiler. Lightly spray rack of broiler pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine ground turkey, oats, 1/3 cup tomato sauce, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon thyme; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer to sheet of aluminum foil or waxed paper. Pat mixture into 9 x 6‑inch rectangle. Cut into 1‑1/2‑inch squares; roll each square into a ball. Arrange meatballs on broiler pan.
- Broil meatballs 6 to 8 inches from heat about 6 minutes or until cooked through, turning once.
- While meatballs cook, bring chicken broth, remaining tomato sauce, remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and, if desired, salt to a boil in 4‑quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium‑high heat.
- Add pasta and vegetables; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- In small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch until smooth. Add to pan with meatballs. Cook and stir until broth is thickened. Spoon into bowls.