Chewy Oatmeal Spice Bars
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup apple butter or apple sauce
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup raisins or diced dried mixed fruit
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 13 x 9 inch baking pan with no‑stick cooking spray.
- Beat together sugars and margarine until well blended. Add apple butter, egg whites, milk and vanilla; beat well.
- Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix well. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well. (Dough will be moist.)
- Press dough onto bottom of baking pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan. Store in tightly covered container.
For a no‑fat‑added cookie, omit margarine and increase apple butter to 1 cup; and continue as recipe directs. Look for apple butter in the jam and jelly section of the supermarket.
For drop cookies, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.