Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cake
- 1/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons all‑purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon margarine, chilled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- One 8‑ounce container cherry (fruit on the bottom) low‑fat yogourt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites OR 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry pie filling, divided
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray 8‑inch square baking pan or 9‑inch heart‑shaped pan (2 inches deep) with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and nutmeg; mix well. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in almonds; set aside.
- For cake, combine yogurt, granulated sugar, egg whites, margarine, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl; mix well. Add combined flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix just until moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Spread half of batter in pan. Drop 1/2 cup pie filling in small spoonfuls randomly over batter. Top with remaining batter. Drop spoonfuls of remaining pie filling over batter; sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. Serve warm. Store cooled cake tightly covered at room temperature.