Best Oatmeal Cookies
- 1-1/4 cups (2‑1/2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix well. Add oats; mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes for a chewy cookie or 10 to 11 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
HIGH ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Increase flour to 1‑3/4 cups and bake as directed.
BAR COOKIES: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9‑inch baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
24 BARS VARIATIONS: Stir in 1 cup raisins or chopped nuts. Omit spices; stir in 1 cup semi‑sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips or peanut butter‑flavoured chips.