Baby Bear Breads with Honey Butter
- 3 teaspoons quick‑rising yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed kernels (optional)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups low‑fat milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons stick butter or margarine, melted
- Assorted raisins and other chopped dried fruits
- Honey butter (recipe follows)
How to make it
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature by letting them stand on the counter about 30 minutes.
- Place yeast in bread machine according to directions in manual. In medium bowl, combine both flours, oats, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. In separate bowl, combine milk, egg and butter.
- Place dry and liquid ingredients in bread machine according to manual. Use machine’s dough setting to mix and knead. (Bread will not bake in machine.)
- Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets. Turn dough out of bread machine onto lightly floured surface. Knead 6 to 8 times.
- To make bears, roll pieces of dough into four 2‑1/2‑inch balls for bodies, four 1‑1/2‑inch balls for heads, sixteen 1‑inch balls for hands and feet and eight 3/4‑inch balls for ears. On cookie sheets, gently place balls together to form 2 bears on each sheet. Use raisins to make eyes, nose, and other decorations. Cover; let rise in warm place 15 to 20 minutes or until nearly double in size.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bake bear breads 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Carefully remove bears from cookie sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Store tightly wrapped up to 1 day. Freeze for longer storage. Serve with honey butter.
In large bowl, combine 1‑1/2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, oats, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt.
Heat milk and butter until very warm (120°F to 130°F). Add to flour mixture with egg and blend on low speed of electric mixer until moistened.
Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in enough additional bread flour (about 1/2 to 1 cup) until a soft dough is formed and the dough begins to clear the sides of the bowl.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape dough into ball; place in greased bowl, turning once.
Cover; let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Shape into bears and bake as directed above.
Honey Butter: In small bowl, combine 8 tablespoons (1 stick) softened butter or margarine and 3 tablespoons honey; mix until smooth. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.