Apple Upside-Down Oat Cakes
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) spiced diced apples in light syrup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray bottoms and sides of 12 medium muffin pan cups with cooking spray.
- Drain apples reserving syrup. Spoon 5 to 6 apple pieces in a single layer onto the bottom of each muffin pan cup. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon reserved apple syrup and 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine apple juice, oil and egg; mix well. Add to oat mixture; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake 16 to 19 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Use narrow metal spatula to loosen edges of cakes from sides of muffin cups.
- Place baking sheet on top of pan and invert. Carefully lift off pan. Serve warm.