Oatmeal Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter
- softened 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3‑1/3 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1‑1/2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Ready‑to‑spread frosting
- Assorted candies
How to make it
- Beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Add combined flour, oats, spices, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover; chill about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- On floured surface, roll dough out about 1/4 inch thick for a chewy cookie or 1/8 inch thick for a crisp cookie. Cut with 5‑inch gingerbread man or woman cookie cutter. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Frost and decorate cookies with candies. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
For gift giving: Create cookie ornaments by cutting a hole near top of cookie with drinking straw before baking. Repeat immediately after baking if hole closes. Cool and decorate. Thread narrow ribbon through hole at top and tie into a bow.